Wendover Parish Council will be entering Wendover into the Best Kept Village competition in 2018.
The competition is not about finding the most beautiful village nor the oldest or most picturesque, its more about finding a village that is cared for by the local community and that villagers, community groups and local businesses can show that they take great pride in their surroundings.
The window for entries for the 2018 Competition will open on 1st March 2018 and will close on 30th April 2018. A panel of anonymous judges will tour villages between May and June and then conduct final judging in July and August. Winners will be announced in September.
The judging panel will evaluate each village on the following criteria:
- Absence of litter and unsightly refuse dumps on verges
- Condition of village greens, playing fields, school yards, public seats, and noticeboards
- Condition of public and private buildings, gardens, and allotments
- Condition of churchyards, cemeteries, and war memorials
- Condition of public halls, sports facilities, and car parks
- Cleanliness of public toilets, bus shelters, and telephone kiosks
- State of footpaths, stiles, field gates, signposting, ponds, and streams
- Condition of commercial and business premises, including advertisements and other signs
- Initiative in the care of the environment of the village
- Evidence of community spirit and usefulness of Village Map
Lastly, we would like to remind residents that most roadside hedges are the responsibility of the landowner. Please check your boundaries and cut back any overhanging hedges and shrubs particularly anything around signs or streetlights.
Update June 2018 – The judging period has started ! Friday 1st June through to Saturday 7th July 2018